Our core values are absolutely crucial to us because they talk about the way we behave.
The following statements are the behavioural characteristics that distinguish us as Wycliffe Bible Translators New Zealand.
- promote the fundamental right to have the Bible in one’s mother tongue. We see this as foundational for the growth of disciples. We believe that the Bible is full of living power and by hearing it in their own language, people can understand it better. We also believe in the importance of literacy and other media to unlock the Word of God.
- live as disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, learning and growing in Him and encouraging others to do the same. We are people committed to living our lives as disciples of Jesus Christ, and following His command to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and to love our neighbours as ourselves. We take seriously Christ’s command to make disciples.
- through prayer and in faith look to God. We are dependent on God in all our endeavours. We recognise that it is not by our own strength but by God’s Spirit that his will is done.
- seek to be agents of change through God’s enabling. We see the Bible as the primary instrument for effecting change in people and the world.
- prioritise the urgency of God’s mission. There are 2,078 language groups which are expected to need a Bible translation where no project has yet been started. We want to see that need met now (see Vision 2025).
- partner with and serve the Body of Christ and others in a spirit of humility and interdependence.
We Serve Everyone
We are servants, both individually and as an organisation. We take as our model our Lord, who said of Himself, “the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve…” Matthew 20:28. This attitude characterises our work, emphasising that it is not just what we do, but the way in which we do it that is important.
Within the realm of our expertise we serve, making no distinction between peoples who may have views differing from our own, whether these be in the area of religion or politics. We serve both friend and critic, host government and local churches.
We accept our Lord’s command, “Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” [Matthew 5:44,45]